Here are some tips and interview outfit choices that are no-brainers in most circumstances:
1. Pay attention to the company culture/feel
If you're going to interview for a Fortune 500 company then it might be best to pull out the suit; however, if you're interviewing for a job at a restaurant or retail store, a pair of nice slacks and a polo or nice blouse would do just fine.
2. What time of the year is it?
Believe it or not, especially down here in Florida, keeping a close eye on the weather is crucial. We don't have much of a Spring, Fall or Winter, but we do have a lot of hot weather. The last thing you want is to be sweating profusely when you meet a potential employer.
If it's going to be hot, make sure you keep hydrated, pump up the A/C on the way to your interview, and keep in mind the kind of clothing you're wearing. Thick fabrics probably aren't the best choice when it's a whopping 98 degrees outside. Think light, airy, and breathable fabrics.
3. Conservative is always safer
Ladies: I know you may love that silk blouse or that cute skirt but if there's ever a question of 'is it too low' or 'is it too short' then the answer is always put it back and go for a button-up blouse, slacks and possibly even a jack or vest. Never wear something that might show you in anything other than your most professional self.
Gentlemen: While I'm all for patriotism and showing your sport loyalties, unless you're going to an interview with a government agency or a professional mixer that benefits a local sports team, don't wear those flashy ties! Go with something simple like a striped or solid color tie. Paired with slacks, a white button-up, and jacket...you can't go wrong.
Still need some more help? Here are some ideas of possible outfits:
1. Collarless Ponte Blazer - $12.24 from Target
2. Women's Full Length Pant - $29.99 from Target
3. Women's Sleeveless Blouse - $11.98 from Target
4. Mossimo® Pamela Pointed Toe Pump - $29.99 from Target
5. Multi Strand Adjustable Necklace - Gold - $5.94 from Target
1. Women's Classic Career Pencil Skirt - $12.00 from Walmart
2. Women's Classic Career Blazer - $20.00 from Walmart
3. Career Essentials Button-Front 3/4 Sleeve Shirt - $14.97 from Walmart
4. Women's Sliver Wedge Shoe - $14.00 from Walmart
1. Men's Suit Pants - $19.98 from Walmart
2. Men's Suit Jacket - $45.00 from Walmart
3. Men's Long-Sleeve Oxford Shirt - $12.98 from Walmart
4. Men's Faraday Oxford Dress Shoe - $25.00 from Walmart
5. Men's Solid Black Diagonal Necktie - $10.00 from Walmart
1. Men's Tailored Fit Dress Pants - $13.98 from Target
2. Men's Tailored Fit Stretch Dress Shirt - $24.99 from Target
3. Black/Grey Stripe Tie - $19.99 from Target
4. Men's Merona® Archer Leather Dress Shoe - $27.48 from Target
Also, we encourage you to check out Dress for Success as they offer many great interview and work appropriate attire at a very discounted rate! To find out more, visit their website at: http://www.dressforsuccess.org/tampabay.
Until next time,